We all think about our skin. It’s right there, in front of us every morning, in the shower, on our keyboards. Some people think about dry skin, some about clear skin, some about youthful skin. And there are countless others. Whatever category you might fall under, whatever skin goal you have, these 5 things will help you achieve more radiant skin.
- HYDRATE: Skin is an organ made up of cells. Skin cells, like any other cell in the body, are made up of water. Without water, the organs will not function properly and certainly not at their best. If your skin is not getting the sufficient amount of water, the lack of hydration will present itself by turning your skin dry, tight and flaky. Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling. Drink 2/3 oz water per ½ lb of your body weight. If you will be exercising or spending time in the heat, add an additional 10-12 oz per day.
- EAT HEALTHY FATS: Fats help add resilience and protect your skin from environmental factors like pollution and wind. Omega-6 fatty acids are building blocks of cell membranes. They help prevent skin dryness to maintain healthy and hydrated skin. Omega-3 fatty acids nourish your skin, are important for radiance and add softness to your complexion. Eating things like wild-caught salmon, avocado and coconut will add healthy fats to your diet.
- USE A CASTOR OIL MASSAGE: Castor oil, in addition to being full of healthy fats and antioxidants, detoxifies the skin. Castor oil also hydrates the skin and penetrates into skin to boost collagen production, making it softer and smoother. Rub a nickel-size amount of castor oil serum (see below for recipe) for 1 minute. Steam with a warm wash cloth and leave on overnight.
- USE FRANKINCENSE ESSENTIAL OIL*: Frankincense has the ability to strengthen skin and improve its tone, elasticity, defense mechanisms against bacteria or blemishes, and appearance as you age. It may help tone and lift skin, reduce the appearance of scars and acne, and heal wounds. I recommend mixing 22 drops of Frankincense per 1 oz of jojoba oil to use daily on your face, neck and décolletage.
- USE COCONUT OIL, INSIDE AND OUT: Coconut oil is naturally antimicrobial, antifungal and antibacterial, making it great for skin, especially for acne. It also has great gut-healing benefits so it’s excellent for ingesting. I recommend coconut oil for makeup removal. Warm a quarter size amount in your hands and rub gently on your face and wipe off with a soft cloth. It can even remove waterproof mascara. Just be careful not to get too close to your eye ducts.
What are your favorite skin care elements? Tell us below and try these.
*Remember to always use therapeutic-grade essential oils that are ethically grown and distilled for optimal results and health benefits. Call us if you would like to order essential oils or for a custom created skin care line. 310.396.3635
Castor Oil Face Serum:
0.5 oz castor oil
0.5 oz extra virgin olive oil
26 drops Neroli essential oil*
12 drops Geranium essential oil*