How Important is Your Skin Health?
What are you doing consistently to improve or maintain your skin health?
Below, you will find the 5 most prevalent things you can do to take action in promoting healthy, vibrant skin. First, let’s discover what your skin does for you.
Our skin is the largest organ of our body with a total area of approximately 20 square feet. It has three layers: epidermis, dermis and hypodermis. The epidermis is the outermost layer that creates a waterproof barrier and creates skin tone. The dermis contains tough connective tissue, hair follicles and sweat glands. The hypodermis, the deeper subcutaneous tissue, is made of fat and connective tissue. All three layers are targeted in an effective skin care routine.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Everything you put into your body affects the systems and functions of the body. It’s more than just weight that is affected. Your skin benefits greatly from a balanced, nutrient-dense diet. Include lots of dark, leafy greens, which are full of vitamin C and phytonutrients. Eat healthy fats like avocado, coconut and fresh olive oil to reduce inflammation and keep the skin hydrated. Eat eggs, which are high in biotin and support the skin’s cellular structure. Variety is key. A variety of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables will help you get all the vitamins and minerals you need.
- Wear a Non-Toxic Sunscreen: Protecting your skin from harmful rays will prevent sun damage. Avoid sun exposure during peak hours of 11 AM and 3 PM. Choose sunscreens that are non-toxic and preferably include therapeutic-grade essential oils to nourish your skin while it protects you. Store-bought options are laden with chemicals. Contact us for recommendations.
- Castor Oil Massage: I recommend this to so many women, and it’s just as great for men. Castor oil is high in vitamin E and omega 6 and 9, which deliver antioxidants and help hydrate the skin. It also penetrates into skin to boost collagen production, making skin softer and smoother. Rub a dime size amount of castor oil with 2 drops therapeutic-grade Frankincese oil into skin for 1 minute. Steam with a warm wash cloth and leave on overnight.
- Swap to All Non-Toxic Personal Care Products: Most mass-produced products we use are loaded with endless synthetic ingredients that cause more harm than good. From body wash to to lipstick, “the law does not require cosmetic products and ingredients, other than color additives, to have FDA approval before they go on the market,” (fda.gov). Decades of studies indicate that serious health issues are on the rise and are due in some part to our ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals. Contact us to create a custom, no-tox personal care and/or beauty regiment with chemical-free products that actually benefit your health.
- Exercise Consistently: Exercise promotes healthy blood circulation which keeps your skin healthy and vibrant by nourishing skin cells. Dermatologist Ellen Marmur, MD states that blood carries oxygen and nutrients to working cells throughout the body and helps carry away waste products, including free radicals. So it’s an overall win for your entire body that also boosts your energy and immune system, promoting clearer skin.
Tell us which of these is your favorite part of staying healthy or fill us in on a secret of your own.
Be well. Be vital. Be you.